Monday, December 06, 2004

Job Hunt

I've been looking for a job since starting this blog, and thus far, no success. I've applied at every retail outfit around here that I can think of, and still no hits. There was a video store, Laser Blazer, that said they would start me part-time, but I never heard back from them, and just now when I spoke to the manager, he told me that "no spots had opened up yet on the schedule." So, that one's probably not gonna happen...

I've been looking for work off and on for a little over a year now. (I had a job when I started, and have had one in the interim. I'm lazy but even I have limits). It's a highly depressing state of affairs, particularly because there are so many non-helpful people and services out there that pretend to help you find work.

Need an example? What about Monster.com. Millions of people flock there for bogus job listings every day. I typed in "Los Angeles" and no other specifications, just to get a measure of the sort of jobs being offered up today:

  • An industry leading asphalt paving contractor looking for HIGH ENERGY SALESMAN, serving Los Angeles & local counties, for one of the world's largest markets.
  • Opportunities exist in our rapidly growing Woodland Hills location for a Loan Shipper/Post Closer.
  • We are seeking an experienced On-Site coordinator to join our fabulous team to supervise the graveyard shift for a large on-site location in Valencia. (Now, THAT one sounds promising...)
  • The Intimate Apparel division of Warnaco, Inc. has an excellent opportunity for someone with forecasting experience within a retail or wholesale apparel company.

Don't these positions all seem a bit specialized? I mean, if you have experience selling asphalt paving, wouldn't you know most of the companies in that field, and apply to them whenever you need a job? What are the chances someone with forecasting experience in intimate apparel is just going to wander onto Monster.com on one day in particular and find that listing? And what the hell is a loan shipper/post closer? I mean, obviously you have to close the post after you ship the loan, but this doesn't take into account that neither of those phrases makes any sense at all.

There really isn't a website helping you find dumb, retail jobs, like the one I'm hoping to turn up. You just have to run around town like a maniac applying everywhere, hoping to get one phone call. And in the week or two around Christmas, it's easier said than done.

No comments: