Thursday, July 14, 2005

I Got Bros in Different Area Codes

While doing my laundry tonight, I've been catching up with friends all over the US, and even the world. My friend Tim called from Chicago, and we did the usual intensive 2 hour discussion on all things movie-related, followed by an equally intensive 5 minute discussion about what was actually going on in our personal lives. Then, I spoke with my friend Brooke, who's presently deep in the heart of Texas. She's having trouble falling asleep, it seems, so of course, she naturally thought speaking with me would do the trick.

I think it worked.

Anyway, I was just thinking about this because of Konrad, a very friendly German blogger who has taken to regularly visiting my blog. (Check out his own blog, Caballito del Diablo, right here!)

While I was speaking to Brooke, Konrad left a sympathetic comment on the below story, about how I accidentally washed my wallet along with a pair of pants a few hours ago.

Here's what kind of blew my mind about the whole thing. Konrad writes out of Nuremberg, Germany, and yet here he was, providing me with insight about an incident that occured only a few hours ago! Right here in LA, CA, USA! My wallet's not even dry yet, and already people in Germany have read a post about it and responded. That's kind of simultaneously a mundane and incredible occurance.

I mean, I don't even know Konrad. And yet, through the magic of blogging, we've made this connection across an ocean and 2 continents (if you count Germany as the Eastern portion of Europe). We both occasionally wash things accidentally (me a wallet, him a cell phone, and possibly a baby). Just kind of weird is all.

Maybe I just need to find more people in this city to talk to.

2 comments:

Horsey said...

No way, forget about real friends! They don't care about the mundane things that happen to you--we on the other hand do. Deeply.

I just ate a sandwich. Ham on whitebread, with a touch of mustard. My knee hurts a little. I think maybe a storm is coming. What's going on with you?

Konrad said...

Thanks for this post, I smiled when I read it.