Saturday, February 12, 2005

Daddy-O

Check out this e-mail I just received from my father, copied with no changes from Gmail here to my blog.

I liked your letter; check for typos! Keep sending these things out...the more you send the bettert your chances.

Check for typos, it betterts your chances. Great advice, Pop!

Oh, I'm just kidding. I tease the old man, but I don't really mean it.

And he's right, by the way. In my excitement to get stuff down on paper and send it out, my writing's often littered with easy-to-fix mistakes I just miss. You've surely noticed this if you check out The Inertia with any frequency. Most of these articles have about 10 times as many commas as required, and I probably write "teh" as often as its correctly-spelled counterpart.

It's odd - I find it exceptionally easy to proofread the work of others, both in terms of grammar and style.

But when it comes to my own writing, I'm utterly blind to any and all errors that may occur. It's like, some buried part of my brain refuses to believe it could ever possibly make an error. "I wrote this? It must be pure gold!"

No comments: