Friday, January 07, 2005

You Guys Want To Check Out My Video?

My friend Peter Smith's quite the talented director. He's made a few films that have made it into a few festivals, and even won a few awards. Plus, he got to go to Sundance last year, which is pretty much completely unassailably cool, and also guaranteed to get you laid in Los Angeles if you throw the information out there in suitably suave manner. And to think! He got his start working as a film writer with me down at the good ol' Daily Bruin...Stop me before I get all misty.

Anyway, he's participating in an MTV contest to Make a Music Video for Yellowcard, so I went on over to the site here and checked it out. Why not go and vote for Peter Smith? (He's one of the first names on there). I think, if he can just carry Ohio and Michigan, then...oh, never mind. That joke's going nowhere.

And I know in the title of this item, I refer to the thing as "my video," but it has nothing to do with me. I didn't even know about it until today. I just wanted to quote the line from Napoleon Dynamte as accurately as possible, so people will get it. But now that I look at it, they probably won't get it anyway.

While you're there, be sure to watch a few of the videos. Peter's looks really nice and professional, like an actual music video you might see on MTV if they ever showed music videos. Most of the others are not up to this standard. I watched one where a guy tried to recreate scenes from movies like Silence of the Lambs, except with him and his girlfriend starring in each of the parts. Then, between scenes, he puts in this trippy psychedelic lava lamp type effect. Imagine if Roger Corman directed one of the Naked Gun movies, and then hired on a toddler as assistant editor.

So, Peter probably doesn't need the help of all you Inertia-keteers out there to win, but go give him a vote anyway. Even if he takes the electoral college, he could still lose the popular vote, which would deny him a rhetorical "mandate".

No comments: