Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Spaceland Invaders

Super cool 8 bit cover band The Mini Bosses will be playing Los Angeles' very own Spaceland on January 22nd. The Bosses take the soundtracks from old Nintendo games and turn them into lengthy guitar-heavy prog-rock masterpieces.

I've heard several tracks, and thus far my favorite is their cover of Legend of Zelda, non-coincidentally also one of my all-time favorite video games. What's so cool about their music is how seriously they obviously take the concept: it's funny, and they have fun with it, but these guys are real musicians and it's not a novelty act. Like Ween, it's great music with real depth, cleverly disguised as a goof.

I would love to attend the show and report back to you, but my finances are still woefully limited. Plus, I'm already seeing Colin Meloy's upcoming acoustic tour and The Arcade Fire later on this month. So don't cry for me, Inertiantina. I'll be a-ight.

No comments: