Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Stomach Contents, and Other Good Band Names

My friends have formed a band. Perhaps you remember me writing about them previously. Check them out here at Mushroom Stamp Productions, if you're interested.

Anyhow, they have formed a band and have been pressing people for good band name ideas. I've been giving the topic a lot of thought this week, far far more than is appropriate. Let me just say, I have devoted more hours of brain power to devising good band names in the past several days than I have devoted to my career plans thus far this century.

My initial suggestions were the same band names I've been suggesting since high school. Emergency Banana and Captain Equinox. No one listens to my great ideas...

See, the reason Emergency Banana is such a perfect name for a band is that it sounds like it's random - just two words smashed together for no reason - but there's a rational explanation for what the phrase means.

My grandmother (you remember her...I just did a post goofing on her e-mails yesterday) always keeps a so-called "emergency banana" in her purse, in case she winds up in some emergency situation without access to food. I know, I know, it's neurotic. But we're Jews...we're a nervous people.

I won't divulge what name the band is probably going with, but they're not taking any of my suggestions (which also included The Nappy Dugouts, The Vernicious Knids and Spacecataz). My roommate Nathan has suggested Fast Food Satan, which is quite a good name for a band, even if it has no secret rational explanation. Also, I think Leet Haxors would be a good name, but it's a computer dork inside joke, which might not work out so well in the long run.

Also, The Overdose.

My friend Brian was thinking that, if only there were saxophones used in the bands music, replacing the word "sex" in common phrases with the word "sax" always results in an amusing band name.

Examples:

  • Sax on the Beach
  • I Want Your Sax
  • Sax With A Minor
  • Oral Sax
  • Sax-ual Harrassment

The possibilities are literally endless. Literally.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always liked "Lerdo"

Anonymous said...

or "The Hoboken Zephyrs" (with a nod to Mr. Serling)

Lons said...

Yeah, I like the Hoboken Zephyrs one. Sounds like an old-timey jazz band or something.