Thursday, January 06, 2005

Mm...Food?

Bizarre. An article I found on FARK says that Norway leads the world in per capita pizza consumption.

Can this be possible? Norwegians ate a combined 50 million pizzas in 2004, with only 4.6 million citizens? And that's more than Americans?

See, I believe that Norwegians could eat 50 million pizzas. I guess. I mean, the weather always sucks, so you don't want to go outside all the time. And I know when I'm hungry and the weather's no good, I tend to order pizza. Or Chinese food. And I'm not sure if they have good Chinese food in Norway. They have lots of seafood, and that's a popular ingredient in Chinese food, but I suppose it would all depend on whether or not there's a lot of Chinese people in Norway. Probably. There's just so many Chinese people, they're just about everywhere by now.

But I digress. My point was, the 50 million figure seems reasonable enough, but I'm willing to bet that Americans eat more pizzas than that. Think about it. Everyone knows we're the fattest country, and we've got to be among the world leader's in marijuana consumption (where's Amsterdam on the pizza list?) and Italian immigration. That would seem to equal good pizza and lots of lazy fatasses wanting to eat it, no? Plus, the goddamn thing was invented in New York.

So, I'm a bit skeptical of this tidbit of information. It's from a Norwegian newspaper (thankfully translated into English, although I am fluent in Norwegian, so I could have read it anyway), so maybe it's outright propaganda. Although if Norway's leadership is hoping to impress the world by overtaking the U.S. in pizza consumption, they may want to rethink their long-term diplomatic strategy.

Cause, small-framed Japanese hot-dog champions aside, you don't want to challenge America to an eating contest. You won't like me when I'm hungry.

No comments: