Monday, July 18, 2005

The Start of Braffy Season, 2006

It won't be hard to get in touch with Rick Santorum, to let him know he has won a Braffy. Unfortunately, I'm not actually one of his constituents, so someone from his office may not return my phone calls, but I do intend to follow up with this thing. We have to let the guy know he won an award! I'm hoping to get some sort of official response from his office, but only time will tell. Then there's the matter of the prize...I figure I'll get him a gift certificate from Jamba Juice or something...just to let him know we're all thinking about him and voting for him as the Worst Person Alive.

Anyway, no sooner do I finish the 2005 Braffies than some jackass Republican Congressman says one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. And he said it live on the radio!

Congressman Frank LoBiondo apologized for suggesting that Guantanamo Bay detainees were worse than Adolf Hitler because the Nazi dictator "sort of had a political rationale about what he was doing."

The New Jersey Republican made the remark on a radio talk show this past week, describing his recent visit to the Naval Base in Cuba. Muslim terrorists, he said, were more evil than Hitler.

I mean, that's a bold statement. More evil than Hitler? He systematically killed somewhere between 8 and 12 million people (depending on which book you read). That's pretty evil. Saddam Hussein on his most bloodthirsty day would be cowed by those statistics. He'd have to have all his rape rooms operational 24 hours a day to start getting numbers like that.

Oh, is that last paragraph ghoulish? Let's just pretend I didn't type that and get back to the moronic Mr. LoBiondo.

"Hitler, in his philosophy, was, you know, he hated Jews, he was murdering Jews, and there were some people he liked. But he never went to the level that these people are going to," LoBiondo said.

Wha-wha-what?

LoBiondo actually apologized on the air a few moments later, realizing he had said something really offensive and retarded, but, hey, it's already out there. What was he even thinking...what sort of deranged mind could even come up with an argument like that?

Muslim terrorists are worse than Nazis, because Nazis only wanted to kill Jews whereas Muslims want to kill all non-Muslims?

I mean, that's not the sort of thing you just say and then apologize for, like, "Oh, I misspoke." Like if you had already heard someone's wife had died but then you forget and ask them how their wife is doing? "Oh, man, I'm sorry...I forgot for a second..."

That's, like, you've basically got to be a lunatic to think that Nazism is excusable. And this guy was thinking that. Sure, he realized it was wrong to say it out loud, but it's obviously a thought that has occured to him.

That's today's GOP for you...capable of sympathy for Nazis, just not Iraqis or gay dudes.

2 comments:

Konrad said...

I don't know exactly what Braffies are, but I think you can find some from Germany in my last post. I'm wide awake it's morning.

Lons said...

The Braffies are the awards I've been giving out and discussing here on the blog for, oh, I don't know, the last several weeks or so non-stop. Named for noted Hollywood jagoff Zachary "Fruit Basket" Braff III.