Friday, December 17, 2004

Young Dorkocrats

Great suggestion today by Kos on the future of the organization the Young Democrats:

I would love to see the YDs taken over by innovators. First order of business -- eliminate Roberts Rules of Order. No person should ever have to suffer through a Point of Order. Parliamentary procedures have no place in a meeting of hipsters. Second bit of business -- vacate those leaky party HQ basements for the local hip coffee shop.

Two simple changes, a huge cultural transformation.


I totally agree. I never got involved in organized politics during my undergraduate years, not because I didn't have the interest that I do know (I totally did!), but because the major political clubs and organizations at UCLA (in this case, the College Democrats) were filled with, well, dorks. Or, at least, I perceived the organizations as being dorky, debate-team-style affairs where everyone got off on playing dress up and having conventions where they could make out in small hotel rooms with their UC Davis counterparts. Maybe I was wrong...I don't know.

But I do know that making these sorts of organizations more casual and inviting can only be a positive change. We've seen that young people can be energized by the democratic process, and that was with John Kerry running, a man who competes for charisma points with the corpse of Fred Gwynn. Imagine if Howard Dean takes control of the DNC and the Young Democrats suddenly become really active...We might take control of West Virginia!

No comments: