Monday, December 13, 2004

Fishing with Scott

Yahoo informs me that the jury has recommended execution for Scott Peterson.

Now, I'm against the death penalty, because it gives juries a right I don't think anyone, even an official, legally sanctioned group of people, should have - the right to kill someone. Plus, I don't think it makes any sense, as no one's ever been able to show that it prevents crime or affects the criminal mindset in any particular way.

I mean, Scott Peterson knew he might be executed if he killed his pregnant wife. I mean, hell, if any crime is heinous enough to warrant lethal injection, it's killing your pregnant wife so you can run off with your massage therapist. But he did it anyway, because the death penalty is not a deterrent. It just makes people feel a little better about things, I guess, like there's some justice in the world somewhere, even though there isn't.

Scott Peterson will likely never even be executed, because California doesn't opt to do so very often. And I'm glad I live in a state that has at least a modicum of respect for human life, rather than a state like Texas, that will happily murder the retarded, the innocent, or anyone who doesn't stand and sing along to that Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" song.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard on the news this a.m. that with appeals, it's not likely that he would be put to death before Scott is in his sixties. Personally, I believe the other prisoners will put him down before that.

mykodachrome said...

Honestly - I feel that this guy deserves to die! But having said that I absolutely agree with you - I cannot and will not support the death penalty for anyone.

Nicely argued points..

Lons said...

Thanks, Ink. The death penalty is something I've felt strongly about for as long as I can remember...I just hate the idea that Americans let fear and anger run our public policy, rather than rationality and reason, but there you go...Whatcha gonna do?