Friday, December 17, 2004

Collaboration Ruling the Nation

I've been working with a small team of writers/producers on creating this cartoon for about two years now. No, I'm not going to tell you what it's all about, just so you can steal the idea and make your own cartoon. You really think I'm falling for that one?

But, anyway, we've all found it very difficult to focus, to get all on the same page so we can do any actual work on getting this thing out there into the world, where all of you can see and enjoy it, and then pay us millions of dollars. Basically, I feel like every time we all meet, we have a different idea, a different direction, and we get off-track very very easily.

To me, this is the problem every time I've tried collaborating with other people on creative projects. Not like I'm so motivated and can get all this done on my own or anything. Just that, when a large group of people interact, everyone has their own ideas. No matter what role we usually play in life, when a creative enterprise gets going, everyone wants to be the leader, everyone wants their vision to get through, and this has become entirely frustrating.

So, now it looks like the new plan will be to get this thing up on the Internet, so we can start building a fan base (if a potential one exists). I'm excited about this plan, if only because I love Homestar Runner so much that I want to emulate some of its success. Seriously, if you guys aren't watching Strong Bad e-mails every Monday on that site, you are missing out.

So, I'll certainly keep you all posted out there in Inertia-ville should anything come of this project. (Don't hold your breath). Bear in mind, this is the same creative team that thought, about a year ago, that we were going to write a script for Snoop Dogg in which he plays a time-traveling pimp who saves Beyonce Knowles from the evil executives at Capitol Records. So, you know, it's a highly professional operation.

No comments: