Monday, December 13, 2004

Chomsky on God

I was just reading a thread over on the always-interesting Eschaton, and someone posted the following quote from Noam Chomsky:

You can find things in the traditional religions which are very benign and decent and wonderful and so on, but I mean, the Bible is probably the most genocidal book in the literary canon. The God of the Bible--not only did he order His chosen people to carry out literal genocide--...but was ready to destroy every living creature on earth because humans irritated Him. That's the story of Noah. I mean, that's beyond genocide--you don't know how to describe this creature. Somebody offended Him, and He was going to destroy every living being on earth? And then He was talked into allowing two of each species to stay alive--that's supposed to be gentle and wonderful.

I know it's pointless to continually point out to religious people that the Bible is full of weird crap, because they just believe it to believe it, but I felt this was a particularly well-phrased argument. Way to go, Noam.

1 comment:

management said...

I just read that quote on Wolcott's site moments before I read it on yours. Right on.
For someone only doing this for a few weeks you're doing pretty good. I mean, you've got comments. I get none. Of course I don't deserve any. I like your blog. I hope you can find the time and energy to keep it going. My hat's off to anyone that can.