Saturday, January 15, 2005

If It's Not Scottish, It's Crap!

Scottish magazine The List ranked the Top 50 Scottish bands of all time recently. The winners? You guessed it: The Bay City Rollers.

No, no, that's a joke. The Rollers came in #8. They was robbed. The winners are the enormously twee, enormously lovely Belle and Sebastian, whose "If You're Feeling Sinister" is surely one of the best pop albums of the 90's.

Here's the full Top 10:

1 Belle & Sebastian
2 Travis
3 Idlewild
4 Wet Wet Wet
5 Sensational Alex Harvey Band
6 Simple Minds
7 Teenage Fan Club
8 Bay City Rollers
9 Primal Scream
10 The Proclaimers

The Proclaimers? The "I would walk 500 miles" douchebags? I hate that freaking song! And I hate the movie it was attached to...(anyone know? Eh? Can you guess? It's Benny and Joon! I rule!)

I have not heard of Wet Wet Wet or Sensational Alex Harvey Band. But I was surprised to see Franz Ferdinand left out of the Top Ten (they're in at #15). That's one behind freaking Snow Patrol! I'd eat my weight in haggis before buying a Snow Patrol album.

The Delgados got left off entirely, which is a shame. Their album "Hate" from 2003 was better than anything Snow Patrol has ever recorded by a good distance.

Also, no love for Edwyn Collins? That "Never Met a Girl Like You Before" has been stuck in my head since about 1997.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think you should check out the rest of that Proclaimers album. Try to think back pre-1993 when that song wasn't in heavy rotation. And try to separate it from B&J (tee hee!) if you can. I realize that may be a difficult task for you.

Also, I highly recommend The Cardigans' album "Life," which Amazon describes as "pop till it hurts." I know they're not Scottish, you wee dotty skidmark!