Thursday, January 13, 2005

A Good Star Wars Game?

Star Wars has really yet to produce a classic video game. I mean, there's the super super old school one, where you're flying down a Death Star canal in an X-Wing made entirely of triangles, shooting at other triangles. And I remember a game I used to play in an arcade at the Irvine Spectrum when I was in high school where you piloted a Tie Fighter or something. Then there's Jedi Power Battles for the Playstation 1, which I was briefly addicted to back in my pot-and-video-games-and-Beck's-Midnight-Vultures phase in college. And I've heard that Knights of the Old Republic rocks, but I haven't played it. So, based solely on my limited experience, I'm going to proclaim that LucasArts games suck ass. Which makes the following image all the more amazing:



Wowzer. In the upcoming game Star Wars: Empire at War, you simulate a whole slew of cinematic battles. The game takes place between this summer's surefire blockbuster Episode III: Revenge of the Bad Guys...You Know, the Ones With Hoods...And Christopher Lee and 1977's actual movie Episode IV: A New Hope. So, it's basically a game that lets you recreate the birth of the Rebellion, a prospect that gets my Generation X-ish hopes up indeed.

Anyway, 1UP.com has a lot more info (and have imprinted their logo on all the photos, which I feel is kind of not the classiest of moves, but there you go...maybe I should get a Crushed By Inertia logo and plaster it all over my articles, so if anyone quotes me, there's a shadowy little image of myself in the corner). Check out their article and way more photos here.

1 comment:

Lons said...

Yeah, I have no doubt you're right. The point of the article was more that I haven't had good experiences with SW games, rather than there aren't any good ones. That's why I included the "limited experience" line.