Thursday, January 13, 2005

Constructive Criticism

Someone left this comment on the blog today, on my story about Ali G causing a near-riot at a rodeo.

Ali G is as funny as bubonic plague

And, as we all know, bubonic plague is not very funny at all. Well, it is kind of funny in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, when Eric Idle is walking around with the wheelbarrow collecting dead people, and then John Cleese tries to give him a dead body that isn't quite dead yet. But the anonymous commentator's point wasn't to remind us all of that hilarious comedy film.

What was the anonymous commentator's point? I'm not sure. I personally would never go to someone's blog and write one sentence discounting their entire post. If I had an opinion about something they wrote (for example, "I like Ali G"), I'd hopefully provide enough of a response to spark a meaningful conversation. Or at least enough material to give a reader some insight into the basis for my opinion.

Simply going around on the Internet typing contrary one-sentence comments seems such an arbitrary and purposeless pasttime. I mean, you can't really respond to "Ali G is not funny." I know, because I'm trying my best right this moment, and it isn't turning out so well.

So, Anonymous Commentator, whomever you are, I'd like to be able to shoot something pithy back at you, but you've given me nothing to go with. Perhaps you'd like to swing by the blog again some time and tell us why you think genius Brit comedian Sasha Baron Cohen shares a humor quotient with the infamous Black Death...

No comments: