Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Funny Man: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Okay, the movie Funny Man doesn't exist at all. It's merely a glimmer in my eye. It's just a script I've written that thus far exists only in script form. That is, there's no musical accompaniment.

But there's one thing I do whenever I'm writing a big project...I design a soundtrack to go with it. I love movies that introduce me to a group of songs I don't otherwise know about, that enhance their various moods with perfectly-chosen background music. Movies like Rushmore, which bases its entire soundscape on the British Invasion garage rock of the 60's, or High Fidelity, that weaves in the indie rock favorites of a generation of hipsters and burnouts.

So, whenever I'm writing a script, I help define the tone in my own head by putting together a collection of songs that I feel would potentially go in the movie once it's finished. Not that they neccessarily line up with the action, or even sound appropriate to some scene I'm imagining. Just that they capture some mood, some feeling that I think I'm going for.

Because I may potentially have a collaborator on this thing, I've burned a copy of the disc. And I figured, as long as I'm at it, I might as well publish the entire thing for you all. Cause why not? I have my own blog, right?

1. Sebadoh - "Vampire"

This is a great Lou Barlow song from Sebadoh's underappreciated "Smash Your Head on the Punk Rock" LP. In the script, it actually lines up thematically with some of the major ideas, but all that really matters is the subdued, blurry, home recording vibe, that I felt perfectly reflected the weary monotony of the early stages of the film.

2. Mike Doughty - "Thank You, Lord, For Sending Me The F Train"

It kind of bugs me that this song so obviously references a public train system, and my script's set in Los Angeles where no one ever takes the train. So it'll seem kind of anachronistic to have it playing over some LA cityscape. But, again, it's the mood that counts here. Former Soul Coughing frontman Doughty has this thin, reedy, nasal kind of voice that's almost frail, and perfectly suited to his laid-back "small rock" style.

3. Heatmiser - "Rest My Head Against the Wall"

This is probably one of my favorite rock songs of all time. Many people don't realize that, prior to his solo career, Elliott Smith fronted an "alternative" grungy rock band named Heatmiser. This is from their final (and best) album "Mic City Sons." It appeared on the soundtrack to another movie, Zero Effect, but it doesn't actually appear in the movie...just the soundtrack. I love that movie (and soundtrack), and mean it no offense, but this song is too darkly comic and melodic to never find its way into an actual film. I'd like to remedy this situation.

4. British Sea Power - "Apologies to Insect Life"

This is a really weird song that's apparently about Dostoyevsky. Which is pretty cool. But it's essential for a movie because of this one part where the lead singer goes..."Oh, Fyodor, you are the most attractive maaaaaaaaaan...." and then the guitars kick in with a squeal and the effect is positively electric, I tell you. I envision it playing behind some guy as he races somewhere at top speed. Which doesn't actually happen in my script, but I'll write an extra scene or something if I have to.

5. The Pixies - "Hey"

This is just a great Pixies song that's never been in a movie. I particularly feel the refrain of "we're chaaaaained" could work well as background.

6. Mazzy Star - "Fade Into You"

I wrote a whole post about how unbelievable it is to me this song hasn't appeared in a movie. Anyone who was in high school during the same years as I (1992-1996) as built-in nostalgia love for this alt-rock hit. And it's just such a perfect, swooning, melancholy love ballad. Seriously, I'm almost afraid to publish this list, because if some Hollywood type ever hears this song, it will be in their next movie.

7. The Rentals - "Friends of P"

A great, bouncy hit, almost from my formative high school 90's alt-radio years. The girl from this band currently plays with the wonderful Decemberists, by the by. Ooooh-woo-hoo-hoo.

8. Fiona Apple - "Oh Sailor"

Alright, I admit it...When I was writing the script, this song didn't actually exist. In fact, it has only been recently leaked on to the Internet and remains unreleased on a proper album. I've illegally downloaded it, I have! So it probably couldn't go in a movie. But it's freaking perfect! My script is partially about tragic, ill-fated romance, so any Fiona Apple song's going to be a little appropriate, but this one in particular. Plus it's such a rich, baroque, beautifully produced song with great lyrics.

9. The Aislers Set - "Catherine Says"

Like the Sebadoh and Doughty song, this is really intimate pop rock, so muffled it could have been recorded from several rooms away. I love this kind of lilting, off-kilter chamber pop, and it's really the primary sound I envision for the movie. Something about music recorded in this lo-fi manner just feels more personal, more private, most special than traditional studio recordings.

10. Bob Dylan - "Outlaw Blues"

Part of the story of Funny Man involves the protagonists "getting away" with a low-level crime, so I thought it would be kind of amusing to play this song, in which Dylan fantasizes about running around with a bad crowd, living off petty crime, off his masterful "Bringing It All Back Home" album.

11. Xiu Xiu - "I Luv the Valley OH!"

I have this on another "mix-tape" list that I made. It's great movie music - creepy, atmospheric, weird but not completely overpowering.

12. Kate Bush - "Wuthering Heights"

This song must be in some 80's romance already, but I don't give a care. I only discovered the song recently, when the Decemberists covered it at the Henry Fonda, and the original kind of blew me away. The first thing that grabs you is Ms. Bush's abnormally high falsetto, but it's just an immensely catchy and emotional song. Plus, the doomed romance of Heathcliff and Catherine plays thematically into the story of Funny Man quite smashingly.

13. Ween - "It's Gonna Be (Alright)"

Sad Ween ballads totally rock! Who's with me? Ween goes all adult contempo on my ass and I love every moment of it. This mini-masterpiece on the "Mollusk" really packs an emotional punch, which I'd like to exploit for my own glory in a major motion picture.

14. Broken Social Scene - "Lover's Spit"

Some argue this song's sarcastic refrain and sweeping orchestral music are over the top. Nuts to that, I say. This is Broken Social Scene at their most bombastic...which is pretty freakin' bombastic. I see it as closing credits music, but it could fit during any emotional climax in a film, really.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It's Gonna Be (Alright)" ????
What is that pussass noise, throw on some "Put the Coke on my Dick".