Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Que Onda Guero

Recently, during a road trip to Santa Cruz, my friend Matt and I rediscovered Beck's "Odelay." I've had it in my CD collection ever since its release (except for a brief interlude during which I traded it to my younger brother for some other album, the name of which eludes me). But I know it so well, it's been a while since I've really listened to it, really remembered how innovative, different, funky and just plain exciting Beck's music can be. Particularly because of the constant evolution of his sound from album to album.

The newest Beck release, "Guero," slated to hit stores in March but leaked early onto the Internets, continues in this tradition. This is definitely the hardest-rocking Beck material since songs like "Devil's Haircut" on "Odelay," but it incorporates a lot of the hip-hop flavor of "Midnight Vultures." Production from the Dust Brothers enhances this effect. At times, it sounds like Beck's take on "Paul's Boutique," the classic Beastie Boys album produced by the Dust Brothers and Rick Rubin.

And, yeah, I downloaded the album, but I'm not sharing it with anyone, and I'll buy it for real when it comes out. So, get off my back, RIAA!
But what's so strange and magical about Mr. Hansen's music is how, no matter what sound he's going for, it still somehow sounds like Beck. Whether it's the lethargic folk of "One Foot in The Grave" or "Mutations," the lo-fi indie rock of "Mellow Gold" or even the muted electronica of "Sea Change," you can always tell you're listening to a Beck album within the first two minutes. And "Guero" is no different.

Opening track "E-Pro" just rips right out of the gate, introducing the listener to this album's new direction. But by Track 3, "Girl," we're back in traditioanl Beck territory. This entirely pleasant sing-songy tune bounces along above a simple guitar line and steady percussive beat, building to a chorus that could have come off "Mellow Gold" or "Odelay." My favorite track on the album so far, though granted, I've only listened to the entire thing a few times through. The next track, "Missing," reminds me of the tropical dub track in Beck's repetoire, "Tropicalia."

And the hard-hitting stomp of "Farewell Ride" just rules the planet. It'll kick your automatic bizooty.

My friend Nathan has theorized it takes a minimum of 5 complete listens to really gain an appreciation for an album. Before that, any opinion you may have is merely conjecture - the music hasn't had time to sink in yet. Well, I can already tell I really like "Guero," but I'm still discovering small touches and nuances. Maybe I'll run a more thorough review once I'm better versed in the songs.

But, anyway, it's really good. You should check it out in March when it comes out for real.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have somehow acquired another copy, as I still have the one that you traded to me for (i'm-not-kidding) 3 Doors Down. I also ran across an old Big Bad Voodoo Daddy that I must have grabbed from you at some point long ago...ya know, the same box where I hide all my Everclear, Blink 182, Bush, and...ugh....Lit.

Lons said...

Oh, man, Jon, you should see some of the bands I still own CD's from...Marcy Playground, Royal Crown Revue, the freaking Aquabats...Depressing...

I definitely remember you gifting me with a burned copy of 3 Doors Down, but I thought I recalled "Odelay" being even earlier in my musical progression. Didn't Aunt Kathy give it to me for my 16th Birthday?

To be honest, I was afraid it was exchange for something even worse. We did take some time before discovering good music, you and I. But we finally came to our senses.