Saturday, February 19, 2005

A Non-Innuendo Headline

My last two headlines were dick jokes...I really need to work on that. This blog has become downright undignified.

So I'll post a link to a movie review. That should class things up a bit.

Here's my fellow video store clerk, going online by the name of Cbabbitt, on the new Keanu Reeves vehicle, Constantine.

1) Keanu Reeves is the only thing that kept me interested in this film.
2) Keanu has more confidence in himself as an actor than ever before(’cause he knows the Matrix films ruled, just as I do) and
3) Keanu is just really fucking cool.

There you have it. One thing I'll give Mr. Babbitt, he writes a concise review, and leaves little doubt about where he stands. [The name C. Babbitt, by the way, references the Tom Cruise character from Rain Man. I had to ask him.]

I haven't checked out Constantine as of yet, but I mean to. Reviews tend to compare it to Blade or Blade 2, which sounds good to me. Blade 2 could very well be my favorite comic book adaptation to date (though I have a good deal of fondness for X2). And Constantine is from a first-time director, generally someone more willing to take chances with this kind of material than a long-time workhorse like a Paul Anderson or a Stephen Norrington. C. Babbitt says he found the film tedious, and I hope that's not the case. I'll report back when I get a chance to see it later this week.

Well, it's off to work now. So, I'll likely be discussing this film's ins and outs for several hours to come. 'Cause, you know, I rule.

What's more interesting to me is how one movie, namely The Matrix, has transformed Keanu Reeves from punchline to hip action star. I wasn't a huge fan of any of the Matrix movies (though I find the original far more appealing than the humorless, navel-gazing sequels). But I will say that those action scenes and the Wachowski's impeccable sense of style have completely turned this guy's career around.

No comments: