Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Twitter, Happier, More Productive

So I signed up for Twitter the other day, the site that's essentially a mini-blog. You post brief updates of what you're doing at any given moment, and this creates kind of an RSS feed of your life that friends can check in on. I've put the handy little Twitter bubble right there on my sidebar, so you can check out my most recent post.

I know a lot of people enjoy this service, but they all must be significantly more popular and better equipped than myself, because it's doing pretty much nothing for me. Because I don't have a fancy phone with screens and keyboards that flip out from unexpected places, I can't pull up Twitter on the go and actually type in what I'm doing when I'm doing stuff. And because I only have 3 or 4 friends who even own computers, it's not like I have a ton of people with whom I need to keep in touch.

So why did I bother signing up for Twitter? I'm not sure, and I think I might just fold up the account, because it's a ton of pressure. I feel like I should be posting something to Twitter all the time, even when I'm not doing anything. Everyone who looks at my Twitter account will realize I have nothing to do. Why would I enroll in a service that will advertise my lameness?

1 comment:

Matthew Wayne Selznick said...

I was very skeptical of the value of Twitter, myself... but I love it. For me, it's a line of connection to people I'm geographically distant from, but heart-close.

It has some similarity to a telephone party line, but one in which there are no strangers. This morning, I found myself joining an impromptu "sing along" (lyrics post) of They Might Be Giants' "Don't Let's Start," and it was strange and delightful all at once.

That's not a use -- or emotions -- I would have ever predicted associating with Twitter. So there's that.

I friended you, too. All us Mahalo geeks gotta stick together.