Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Pennsylvania Avenue Film Festival

Okay, so last week, I wrote a post about Dick Cheney entitled White Hunter, Black Heart. Which I thought was pretty clever...Because of the Dick Cheney hunting connection and, you know, the evil connection.

I thought it might be kind of fun to try and come up with a full roster of films, one each to correspond with the present Presidential administration. Does this make sense to anyone but me?

George Bush's, I think, would be Throne of Blood. Too easy. (I also would have accepted The Legend of Drunken Master or The Jerk.) After that, it gets a bit harder...

Karl Rove? The Brain That Wouldn't Die might work. Or The Puppet Master.

Condi Rice has taken me a while. It's hard not to go right for blaxploitation titles or something, but I needed a title that reflected her gross incompetence as a diplomat more than her race. Perhaps The Beguiled? The Uninvited Guest? The Nutty Professor? The Front? Guess Who's Coming to [State] Dinner? Okay, that last one is a stretch.

Donald Rumsfeld is in charge of the military, but doesn't have a title, so even though it would be tempting to use The Bad Lieutenant or The Adventures of Private Snafu or The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, it's just not appropriate for Rummy.

There's The War Lover, though, with Steve McQueen. I think that would do nicely. Liar Liar, of course, would be tempting for any of these guys. (Now, if we were doing paintings whose names apply to the Secretary of Defense, I don't think you could do much better than "Rum Sodomy and the Lash.")

I know he's not in the President's actual administration, but I came up with Fat Man and Little Boy for Dennis Hastert.

Mark Foley? You've Got Mail.

Tony Snow? Stop Making Sense.

Alberto Gonzales? The Torture Chamber of Baron Blood. (This is actually a fairly awesome Mario Bava movie.)

Michael Chertoff? Flirting With Disaster.

Anyone else want to give it a try? Go for it in the comments. And don't limit yourselves to Bush administration people only. Any politicians wil do.

No comments: