Friday, September 09, 2005

Up All Night

Tomorrow evening, I'm seeing a double feature of Hideo Gosha samurai films at the Egyptian Theater. It's part of the American Cinematheque's awesome yearly "Japanese Outlaw Masters" series of films...

I was hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight, so I'm not tired by the second movie tomorrow night, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. I had some coffee yesterday and a few Cokes, and I didn't wake up until the afternoon, so I guess that's why sleep's not really coming to me right now.

So far during this long dark night of the soul, I've watched Francis Ford Coppola's Rumble Fish (review forthcoming), a few episodes off of the "Simpsons" Season 5 box set I just purchased and had signed by Matt Groening and Rudy on TV with my roommate Chris and his friend Stefan, who has been living on our couch. Now, I'm listening to the New York broadcast of "The Howard Stern Show," and he's praising himself for hiring Bubba the Love Sponge, a DJ fired by Clear Channel several months ago for obscenity.

I bet many of you like that movie, Rudy. It's consistently voted a favorite film among sports fans, and it certainly made an impression for being such a small and unassuming film. Anyway, it's really obvious and horrible. Chris and I were laughing a lot every time someone mocked Rudy's small stature or inability to attend Notre Dame.

"You're too damn small, Rudy, and stupid. You ain't never gonna play for no Notre Dame school..."

So lame. Maybe it would make a good topic for the Cinegeeks' Over/Under column...I'm already one week behind. Friday Night Lights would make a good underrated movie, I suppose, with a similar theme...

No comments: