Saturday, September 10, 2005

Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spammity Spam Wonderful Spam

I've started getting these obnoxious spam "comments" here on the blog. It's just some random message followed by a link to some site that will try to sell you penis pills or cheap trips to Jamaica or some such crap. Personally, I'd take the trip to Jamaica, because then at least you have a chance of actually having a tropical-themed alcoholic beverage, whereas if you go with the pills, you're just going to wind up with the same old penis anyway.

I always delete these comments right away, so I can't link you to one, but here's a sample:

Now you've got me thinking. I really enjoy this blog, I'll definitely pop around more often, keep it up! Feel free to pay a visit to my Canada immigration site. It might not be your "cup of tea", but it covers Canada immigration related topics.

Now, in the actual spam comment, the words "Canada immigration" were highlighted, and if you clicked them it takes you to the penis pill site. I've taken that out for your convenience. Unless, you know, you need penis pills, in which case it's decidedly inconvenient.

What I think is really funny about the spam is that it so obviously plays to blogger vanity. They go with the cheap flattery approach. Tell me up front they think my blog is really great, and then hope I don't notice it's just an automatically-generated advertisement. Clever. I've almost fallen for a few of them.

The thing that's totally stupid about this whole spam comment system is that they haven't figured out a way to theme the comment to the post. I can always tell right away when a comment is spam because it has nothing to do with anything I've been talking about.

For example, on a post I wrote about the new Superman movie, this comment appeared:

Rod Stewart Ordered to Pay for Vegas ShowWorld travel and annual medical insurance plans from independent advisors Medibroker International.gucci bag Terrific Gifts for Spring and Summer. Many Styles! Shop from our VAST COLLECTION of Handbags today! gucci bag

In THAT comment, the words "gucci bag" were highlighted, and if you clicked them, it took you to a site that was selling (for real) pet supplies.

Basic economic theory teaches us that this scheme would not exist unless there was profit to be made. So, somewhere out there, some fool is not only clicking these links, but actually making purchases based on them. How is such a thing possible? How can any of you really be that stupid?

2 comments:

Justin said...

I started getting a dozen of them a day. Then I had to turn on that new Blogger spam thing. It worked.

"Steve Smith" said...

Now you've got me thinking. I really enjoy this blog, I'll definitely pop around more often, keep it up! Feel free to pay a visit to my Canada politics site. It might not be your "cup of tea", but it covers Canada politics related topics.