Sunday, August 21, 2005

Google Bombs, Not...Um...Regular Ones

Google-bombing: it's a simple technique wherein you and hundreds of other bloggers purposefully feature certain links, in an attempt to influence Google's search mechanism.

You see, Google acts basically like a massive World Wide Web popularity contest. When I type in, say, "kumquat," Google will bring up the most popular recent articles containing the term "kumquat." What this means is, if you and everyone else you know link the same page using the same term, you can cause that link to skyrocket to the very top of Google.

So when I type in "intelligent design" and link it to, say, The National Center for Science Education, and hundreds of other bloggers (like Horsey and Sloth) do the same, then that link will come up early on in Google searches for intelligent design. Which is, you know, better than some of the sites that could come up, filled with misinformation and outright propaganda.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The thing I don't like about this ID business is that 'intelligent design' is such a seemingly innocuous term. I would happily say that I can accept the possibility of intelligent design... but I would be less inclined to accept the possibility of 'intelligent design', know what I'm sayin'? They've hijacked a common phrase instead of coming up with a distinct term to identify what is really an ideological position. It would be like if I came up with some whacko belief and named it 'freedom of speech'. Then everyone who says "I belive in freedom of speech" is unknowingly endorsing my fringe philosophy. Messed up.