Tuesday, August 23, 2005

8 Days a Geek

I've helped to start up a film website with a co-worker and some of his online friends. It's called Cinegeeks. Most of my content for them so far has just been republished blog reviews and other stuff like that, but I'm now starting to write up some original content.

The site is not terribly different from other popular film websites like Aint It Cool News (my favorite), CHUD (my least favorite) or Dark Horizons (about which I have no overwhelmingly strong opinion). With the difference that we'd focus on film and DVD reviews along with the news and gossip, with a greater emphasis on foreign and classic titles.

I'm kind of proud of this article, the first original one I've written for Cinegeeks. If you're not horribly bored with my railing against Zach Braff and Garden State, you should probably check it out. If, however, you are totally bored with my railing against Zach Braff and Garden State, better to just go to the front page and read some other people's articles. Because the hatred gets pretty intense. Here's a sample sentence:

This is the kind of film that makes you appreciate the wit and power of Plan 9 From Outer Space. That movie is technically execrable. But at least it's about something. "Aliens invade dead bodies" sounds at least a bit more intriguing than "Guy from 'Scrubs' mugs and plays you a mix tape."

Man, I really hate that guy. Where does all this anger come from? And couldn't it be directed in some more productive way? Such as, working hard to earn a lot of money, so that I one day might be able to hire a professional killer to assassinate Zach Braff?

Anyway, my co-worker who runs the site along with his girlfriend expressed to me today that the rest of the Cinegeeks didn't much care for the article. It seems they all really like and admire Garden State. He didn't say this, but I'd wager they also found it rude and condescending. I get that all the time.

I'm really happy they decided to run it anyway (apprently, there was some debate). I think it's cool to have a site that's provocative, that encourages people to second-guess the information they get on the rest of the Web. That's why I hope they run my Layer Cake review as well, because that thing's a complete turd that's been getting nothing but good press. The people need to hear the truth!

1 comment:

Justin said...

Although I disagree on your Anti-Braff stance, I like the site. Good work.