Friday, April 29, 2005

The Buzz Bin

They don't have the Buzz Bin on MTV any more. Now, videos are known as "buzzworthy," and they appear on something called MTV2. But back when they did have the Buzz Bin, it was the indicator for which new songs were, like, OMG WTF, totally hot right now. "No Rain" hung out in there for about five years in the 90's if memory serves me. Ditto that "Mmmm Mmmm" Crash Test Dummies one.

But I'm just using the term to refer to this list of albums I've become addicted to lately. I've found myself very involved with a few new 2005 releases in the past couple of weeks, and I'm always meaning to write more about indie rock and less about old Richard Widmark movies. Because the only comments I get on the Widmark reviews are from other bloggers looking for spare traffic, as if leaving your blog's information on Crushed by Inertia were some guarantee of a mass audience. You'd reach more people by shouting your blog's address out your bedroom window for a minute or two.

Decemberists - Picaresque

I feel like I write about this band too much. But what the hell...It's my blog, I'll write about who I want. Anyway, this is another great Decemberists albums, full of literate, catchy, intricately constructed pop songs. My roommate doesn't like this band because he doesn't care for Colin Meloy's voice, but I think it's great - odd and occasionally shrill, but strangely appropriate to his sing-songy narratives. This one track on here, "Engine Driver," builds really beautifully to a classic chorus. That one has been on repeat in my car more than once.

British Sea Power - Open Season

Their first album was more of a hard rock affair, kind of bombastic with a post-punk sort of edge. But this one, I suppose in keeping with the 80's retro style of the times, is a laid-back new wave outing. It reminds me a lot of Echo and the Bunnymen, which is great, because not enough bands have that kind of ethereal dreamy quality. There aren't really any incredible stand-out trakcs like "Apologies to Insect Life" or "Fear of Drowning" on the last BSP outing, but this one holds together better as an album.

Louis XIV - The Best Little Secrets Are Kept

This is delightfully sleazy throwback-rock at its best. Based on this album, Louis XIV don't seem to aspire to change the face of rock and roll as much as they aspire to avoid throwing up on their shoes after getting fellatio in the alley behind the venue. Say what you will about the juvenile songwriting and cribbing from old Rolling Stones albums, but these are some catchy-ass songs.

Okkervil River - Down the River of Broken Dreams

I saw these guys play at the Henry Fonda a few months ago in support of their latest album. But this was their previous release, and it's filled with really charming, laconic country rock songs. It's tempting to bring up comparisons to Neil Young, but this isn't direct homage like Magnolia Electric Company so much as inspired and thematically similar countrified jam rock. Like Young's best stuff, the songs build from delicate acoustic melodies into an intense, cacophanous guitar crescendo.

No comments: