Saturday, March 05, 2005

HST, An Oliver Stone Film

The plot keeps thickening on this Hunter Thompson conspiracy.

For those of you not already on top of this breaking news story, I reported it previously in this post. To sum up, not all of the details of Hunter Thompson's apparent suicide work out neatly. There's this issue with the gun, there's inconsistent reports from witnesses, and Hunter was working on a 9/11 conspiracy book at the time of his death.

But all of that's entirely circumstantial evidence. It's far too early to say what all this stuff means.

So, here's some more of it.

This is a quote from Thompson, remembering a first meeting with George W. Bush at a Houston Super Bowl Party in 1974:

He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away.

Okay, so, Hunter had negative things to say about the President. Fair enough. But check out this story as reported in a real reputable newspaper, the Toronto Globe and Mail! I'm quoting it from a blog called The Green Lantern, as the Globe and Mail uncooly requires a membership to read their stupid little articles. It's an anonymous friend of Thompson's who remembers a phone conversation with the Good Doctor:

"Hunter telephoned me on Feb. 19, the night before his death. He sounded scared. It wasn't always easy to understand what he said, particularly over the phone, he mumbled, yet when there was something he really wanted you to understand, you did. He'd been working on a story about the World Trade Center attacks and had stumbled across what he felt was hard evidence showing the towers had been brought down not by the airplanes that flew into them but by explosive charges set off in their foundations. Now he thought someone was out to stop him publishing it:

"They're gonna make it look like suicide," he said. "I know how these bastards think . . ."

So, yeah...the next day, it looked like he committed suicide.

I'm not saying this definitely went down, people. I'm just saying that you can't put anything past the creeps who are running things right now. Anything. A few years ago, any reasonable person would have thought that our current situation, with the president squandering our budget surplus, embroiling us in multiple Mid-East wars and dividing our country with a useless culture war, would never come to pass. These are unreasonable wackos we've elected, and I don't think they're neccessarily above killing Hunter Thompson because he found out too much about some nefarious scheme or another.

But clearly, it's too soon to tell. I'll keep you posted on any further developments. Although you could really be reading some news on your own now and again.

No comments: