Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Let Us Bask in TV's Warm Glowing Warming Glow

TV Land has made a list of the Top 100 TV catchphrases and quotes. The whole thing can be found here, in alphabetical order.

They've naturally done a good job of choosing characters and shows for the list, but also tend to pick inappropriate actual quotes.

For example, "The Simpsons" makes the list, but the quote chosen is "D'oh." Now, I'd say that's a noise, as opposed to a quote or catchphrase, but it seems like the classic, obvious choices would be "eat my shorts" or "cowabunga, dude." If they were going for the most quotable quote, I might suggest something from the Ralph Wiggum school. Perhaps "I bent my wookie" or "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Here's another strange pick. From "The A-Team," TV Land has chosen Hannibal's catchphrase "I love it when a plan comes together." Because we all know how often people haul out that old chestnut during casual conversation. Guys...I mean..."I pity the fool." Ring any bells? Like the fact that Mr. T still goes on Conan and does that line, decades after "The A-Team" went off the air? There are teenagers with no idea that line's even from a TV show. They just think there's this creepy, overly aggressive dude going on comedy shows and telling fools that he pities them.

Even more staggeringly, the "Star Trek" quote is Kirk's opening salvo, "Space, the final frontier..." Wrong wrong and wrong. It's either "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor!" or "That's not logical." Or even "To boldly go where no man has gone before." (To be fair, "Live long and prosper" AND "Resistance is futile" are both also on the list).

Some items on the list should not even be rightly considered original catchphrases. "Holy crap!" is not a line attributable to Peter Boyle's character on "Everybody Loves Raymond." It's a universal expression of surprise. It's obvious they needed to include the mega-popular "Raymond" on the list so, out of desperation, picked a generic line that one character said a lot. BOOM! Instant classic catchphrase.

Ditto "heh heh" from "Beavis and Butthead." Granted, their laugh was distinctive, but it is not a quote or catchphrase. Might I recommend "I am Cornholio" or "You are a beautiful woman...You will be with me, tonight."

Okay, so having said all of that, it's a decent list. I like that "Ren and Stimpy" and "Chappelle's Show" made the cut. (If it takes you more than 2 seconds to think of what Chappelle quote they used, I hope your 6 year stint in a Turkish prison went smoothly.)

If I were making it, I probably would have included more goofy Bob Costas quotes. I swear, one time, I heard him say "he's, as the blacks would say, representing" when a guy was doing an end-zone dance. Plus, "...and now for something completely different" from "Monty Python." That one seems obvious.

No comments: