Thursday, August 18, 2005

Chicago

I mean the Sufjan Stevens song "Chicago," not the movie or the band. Or, you know, the Midwestern city. Although during the few days I spent there a few years ago, it struck me as cool city, albeit one with an unfortunate tendency towards sideways rain.

This song is off of Sufjan's latest album, "Illinois," the second in a proposed series of 50 albums commemorating each US State. (Album #1 was "Michigan.") It's pretty much exactly the kind of indie pop that gets me every time. An infectious hook, production that's large and full of flourishes, yet lilting and delicate, clever lyrics. The sort of thing Elliott Smith conjured up on his later albums. Some of Stevens songs have the exact tone that Coldplay always tries for, and occasionally almost hits, on their way to being maudlin, posturing and overbearing.

I've been listening to it a lot tonight, while I'm sitting here and revising some script stuff and blogging. It's a good background song. Also, I'm waiting for Dangerdoom (the MF Doom/DJ Danger Mouse collaboration) to download.

No comments: