Friday, March 25, 2005

Oldboy Opens

Just a reminder: if you live in a major metropolitan area, you probably have a theater not terribly far away from you showing Oldboy. It's the best movie I've seen in a long while. Yeah, it's in Korean with subtitles, and yes, it's violent and disturbing. But sometimes violent and disturbing films are good for you, like broccoli or cardiovascular exercize routines.

Roger Ebert gives the film four stars in his well-written review today. But I'm not linking it because you shouldn't read it if you haven't seen the movie. You shouldn't know anything at all about this movie before seeing it, and his plot summary walks you through at least the first 20 minutes. Nuts to that!

One thing I've noticed as I go back through the Laser Blazer DVD collection...I enjoy not knowing anything about a movie before I watch it. I'm so used to having a fairly complete idea of the plot of a film now, from watching trailers and reading sites like Aint It Cool News, it's refreshing to just let a director's work wash over me, to discover it as it unfolds.

So go see Oldboy. That's all I'll say on the subject.

No comments: