Friday, December 14, 2007

Favorite Songs of 2007, Part 1

Usually, I come up with a list of my favorite 20 or so songs out of a given year. But now that I'm regularly using iTunes at both work and home, it's relatively easy to compile a somewhat more thorough, extensive list of the music I've listened to and enjoyed in 2007. So I'm going to just post a long collection of songs, all the ones I've really been into this year, over the course of several posts. (As many as it takes, really.) Then, when that's all done, I'll post my Top Albums of the Year list (which I promise to limit to 21.)

So, here we go...in alphabetical order...which means this wouldn't make a particularly good mixtape...

!!!, "Bend Over Beethoven"



The 1900s, "Everybody's Got a Collection"

I like this song because it sounds really pleasant and up-tempo, and then you listen to the lyrics and discover it's pretty mean-spirited. Even cruel.



Aesop Rock, "Catacomb Kids"

My favorite track on Aesop's considerable "None Shall Pass" record.



Apostle of Hustle, "My Sword Hand's Anger"

This sounds very much like a Broken Social Scene song, which is always a good thing. The hook is near-perfect. The whole album, "National Anthem of Nowhere," was really solid.



Bat for Lashes, "What's a Girl to Do"

Definitely one of my favorite songs this year. It's got the kind of lonely, desolate, even eerie sound that really appeals to me for some reason. Plus, one of the year's coolest videos.



Black Kids, "I'm Not Gonna Teach You"

Fantastic stuff. They've got a very catchy, '80s synth-pop kind of sound that takes me back to my childhood, really.



The Boggs, "Forts"

This sounds like music made by inebriated, dizzy people late at night in a forest somewhere. It kinds of reminds me of a slightly lower-key, less insane Man Man. Maybe what Man Man sounded like right before they ate the garbage bag full of magic mushrooms.



Broken Social Scene and Kevin Drew, "Lucky Ones"



Buck 65, "Benz"

I only listened to this because Cadence Weapon guests on it, but I liked the song enough to check out Buck 65's whole record. Canadian Rap FTW!



CALLA, "Bronson"

I was kind of obsessed with this song for a while. Really, just that first little part..."I know a thing or two abooooouuuuuutttt..." Not sure why.



[On to Part 2! Or skip ahead to Part 3!]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"what's a girl to do?" is really really great. My other faves this year:

"pioneer to the falls" - Interpol

"I feel it all" - Feist

"Endless Reverie" - Azam Ali

"Battle Scars" - Chemical Brothers

"All I Need" - Radiohead

"No Cars Go" - Arcade Fire (or was that from last year?)

"Human Spirit" - dolores o'riordan

"A Kind of Peace" - Faithless