Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Yes, But Do They Rock As Hard As "Treefingers"?

So, okay, I won't be able to go to the big Radiohead-Deerhoof shows at the Greek Theater next month. It's too expensive, and I can't justify spending that much to see a band I've already seen twice before in concert, no matter how earth-shatteringly awesome a live performance by Radiohead in an even semi-intimate venue promises to turn out. Also, tickets will be extremely hard to access for this particular event. It'd be easier to snag an invite to the next Opus Dei initiation ceremony than Radiohead at the Greek. Los Angeles area Radiohead concerts typically sell out before they are even announced. People just buy tickets to sit at local venues on random evenings on the off chance that Radiohead will show up and do an impromptu set.

Despite my disappointment at not being able to follow the band's tour around the nation like the obsessive, dirty hippie that I am, a new album by the band's still extremely exciting. There have been live versions of some of the new songs popping up around the Web, but the best recordings I've yet heard by fgar come from I Guess I'm Floating.

He's got three songs, each of which completely rules, but I think "Bodysnatchers" is my favorite. It's impossible to get a complete sense for how the songs will sound when they are finished on the album, but I can just hear this one is a great, hard-rocking track. Are these guys the best band in rock music right now? I'd say...yes, yes they are.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Is there a Greek theater in LA too?

Lons said...

There sure is, right in Griffith Park. It's a pretty nice venue - a big outdoor amphitheather that isn't TOO big. I think the last time I was there was Belle & Sebastian. Or possibly Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

Ace Cowboy said...

Wow, you have incredible restraint: "It's too expensive, and I can't justify spending that much to see a band I've already seen twice before in concert..."

I've never even heard those words strung together in that manner before. But my wallet would be much happier if I had. Sometimes you gotta spend the cash, no matter how many times you've seen them (as you can tell, I'm just trying to justify having seen my favorite band 42 times in concert).

Lons said...

Well, I phrased it in terms of "justifying" this expense, when really the situation is that I can't afford this expense. It would be a decision between Radiohead in concert (awesome!) and actual food in my stomach (not as awesome, but unfortunately mandatory for continued life!).

Anonymous said...

...or is that mom?