Wednesday, May 24, 2006

This One's Optimistic

If my calculations are correct, approximately everyone in Los Angeles will be attempting to score Radiohead tickets tomorrow morning at 10. It's a feeding frenzy that will make the U.S.S. Indianapolis look like the Spearmint Rhino's lunch buffet.

Whenever they breeze through the city, shows sell out immediately. Even Coachella (although to be fair, they co-headlined with The Pixies that night). When I saw them at the significantly large Hollywood Bowl, they were playing several nights that all sold out quickly. And this tour brings them through the relatively tiny Greek Theater for a two-night stint. These things will go in less than 5 minutes.

My friend Jason is hoping to pool his friends who might otherwise not attempt to get Radiohead tickets for themselves. He's urging everyone he knows to log on to Ticketmaster tomorrow morning for seats. I'm thinking that the chances are so unlikely, a few extra persons checking in on your behalf won't make a mathematically significant difference. But you've got to admire the attempt. As Thom Yorke might say, "If you try the best you can, the best you can is good enough."

He also points out that, currently on Ebay, several pairs of tickets are already up for sale. To borrow a phrase from Peter Griffin, that really grinds my gears. I'm aware that, this being capitalism, anyone with a shot at getting early tickets to a hot show that doesn't personally care about the band will immediately jump at the chance, and that I would do no different. But still...lame. If they get the tickets early, why can't they just give them to me?

(And, yes, I'm aware that, in a previous post, I had claimed I would not be bothering to attend the Radiohead show due to economic concerns. This, of course, was a complete lie. But does it still count as blatant dishonesty if I was lying to myself at the time?)

1 comment:

Lons said...

Here's how it went:

TICKETMASTER: Let me guess? Radiohead?

ME: Radiohead! Radiohead!

TICKETMASTER: Sold out.

ME: Awwwwwww....