Sunday, October 09, 2005

Silly Love Kongs

Seen the gorgeous new poster for Peter Jackson's King Kong yet? Well, here it is, compliments of What Would Tyler Durden Do (WWTDD), a well-named website if ever there was one.



Awesome.

Anyway, I know blogging's been light the past few days. I am, after all, only one man. And for now, I'm off to Club Hurt to see another standing-room-only show by local favorites The Ventriloquists, just returned from their whirlwind, 12-city tour of Outer Mongolia. You know, they're one of the few bands to really break out in the O.M., which is really reason enough to check them out.

But just in case your geek quotient for the day has not yet been met, here's the link to a trailer for Jon Favreau's new family sci-fi comedy, Zarthura, a sequel to Jumanji. Now, I'm a big fan of Favs two previous films (Made and Elf...he wrote Swingers but Doug Liman directed that film). But I have to say, Jumanji ranks among the films least in need of a sequel in recent history. At least Robin Williams doesn't pop up in this. Instead, they've got "Punk'd" mainstay Dax Shepard. Oh...neat...

My co-Cinegeek Ari didn't find the trailer very promising, but I think the film looks okay. It at least stands a solid chance of at least improving on Jumanji. I mean, it's not hard to improve on Jumanji, what with its constant, shrill chaotic action, painfully unfunny dialogue and blurry early CG effects. This one seems like it might have a somewhat better feel for the characters, and I think just the very concept of an evil robot run amock in a suburban home sounds fun.

We'll see...maybe the thing will be a disaster, what do I know. I hope it's good, because Favreau's taking on the highly promising John Carter of Mars next, and it would be a shame if he doesn't have a handle on the whole large-scale special effects thing.

No comments: