Monday, December 27, 2004

Get Well Soon, George

Yahoo tells me that the Greatest Comedian of All Time, Mr. George Carlin, has entered a drug and alcohol treatment program for what he describes as excessive use of "wine and Vicodin."

Now, it's no surprise that George Carlin was and probably remains a drug user. Many of his routines are about drug use, he famously battled cocaine addiction in the 80's, and he played a reformed addict on his short-lived Fox sitcom "The George Carlin Show."

I guess it's George's cynicism that intrigues me about this item. He strikes me as the sort of person that would reject organized drug treatment centers immediately, finding them overly authoritarian, beurocratic and theological. I mean, I'm sure this is a medical program, not a 12-step program, but isn't the very idea that you can "kick" drinking wine if you want to kind of, I don't know, anti-Carlin?

Anyway, it sounds like it isn't too serious, and, as an enormous fan, of course I wish Mr. Carlin a speedy recovery.

1 comment:

Lons said...

To fill in all you Inertia-ites about this comment:

I went to Nick's blog and left a comment on a post he made about rediscovering Christ. I suggested to him, basically, that there isn't a God and that all of his mental energy would be better directed in finding a way to be happy rather than trying to find stuff out about the imaginary man in the sky, but he clearly disagrees.

So, anyway, this theological discussion will probably go on back and forth for a while, so if you see anything odd and out of place in, say, a post about George Carlin, don't be alarmed.