Tuesday, August 08, 2006

You Stay Classy, Joe Lieberman

The self-aggrandizing wrong-headedness of this quote really startled me:

"Of course I am disappointed by the results, but I am not discouraged," Lieberman said. "For the sake of our state, our country and my party, I cannot and will not let that result stand."

The Democratic voters of Connecticut banded together today to get this guy out of office. They came out in record numbers. Thousands of voters registered as Democrats specifically so they could vote against Joe Lieberman in this primary. He's only the fourth incumbent Senator to lose a primary since 1980.

Sounds to me like Connecticut Democrats don't want to be represented by Joe Lieberman any more. But, you see...he knows better. He has to run as an independent candidate for the sake of his party.

As if we couldn't see through such a ridiculous rhetorical ruse. (I love unintentional alliteration). "It's not that I still care about being a Senator, mind you. I'm not mad with power or jockeying for a position with the Bush Administration or anything. I don't care about scoring valuable corporate contracts for my pharmaceutical lobbyist wife through my governmental access. I just care so goddamn deeply about the voters of Connecticut...So deeply that I can't allow them to elect the man who they actually would like supporting them in Washington."

That's commitment, people. You're a good man, Rape Gurney Joe.

As if that weren't enough - as if telling the Democrats of Connecticut to their face that they are too stupid to take part in the democratic process and threatening the party's chances in the fall with a selfish third-party bid - he has to make up stories about his opponent as well.

Lieberman's camp has repeatedly accused Lamont supporters of "hacking" the Senator's site in order to block...well, I'm not sure. In order to keep people from checking up on Joe Lieberman's lame website. They've admitted, however, that there's no evidence Lamont or supporters did any such thing. Additionally, it now appears that Joe was too cheap to spend any money on web hosting, so the site simply went down because of excessive traffic.

(Though it's a stretch to believe that Joe Lieberman's site could be inundated with too much traffic, no matter how small his server. Maybe he put up a video of that fat kid dancing to Romanian techno.)

Like every other blogger, I've been following this race closely, and even though it's only a primary and I don't live in Connecticut, it still feels like a victory. For the first time in a long while, I feel like the right person has won an important election. This sort of thing can't help but feel like a beginning...Joe Lieberman will be the first villainous warmonger to be tossed out on his ass by the American people. Hopefully, many many many many many many more of these greedy lunatics will follow and we can be governed with a modicum of sense again.

No comments: