Sunday, November 13, 2005

If You Don't Already Get HBO...

Here's another good reason. They have hired David Cronenberg to adapt his bizarre, awesome 1988 thriller Dead Ringers into a series. Think "Nip/Tuck," only with identical twins, and they're gynecologists instead of plastic surgeons. Otherwise, I'd say the tone will probably be fairly similar.

HBO is really kicking ass and taking names in terms of show development these days. I mean, yeah, I understand that they have higher budgets and more creative freedom, but they manage to attract just about every interesting creator of appointment television out there. I haven't seen "Rome" yet, which I understand is great, but come on...David Chase of "The Sopranos," Alan Ball of "Six Feet Under" and another upcoming comedy/drama show, David Milch of the riveting "Deadwood," Larry David of "Curb Your Enthusiasm"...and now David freaking Cronenberg? Damn...

I can't wait to see this show. How can they turn such a bizarre, twisted and fatalistic story into a TV series? Will it take the characters from the film and just change their eventual fates, or will it be a new set of twin gynecologists? Only time will tell...

No comments: