Thursday, December 16, 2004

Free Lance!

I'm currently trying to get work as a freelance journalist. You know, nothing full-time that would tie down my busy lifestyle. Just a little bit of writing work to keep me on my toes, and provide valuable clips, so that one day, perhaps, if everything goes according to my plan, I could become a bi-monthy columnist for the Sacramento Bee.

No, seriously, one day I'd like to be a film critic. I think I'd be good at it. (Go check out the reviews at the right side of this website, and let me know what you think...Unless it's negative. Then keep it the hell to yourself).

And, let's face it, film criticism would be the greatest job on the planet. I go see all kinds of new movies for free, and then all I have to do is spout off to anyone who will listen about what I thought? That's it? I don't have to mop up the theater afterwards or anything?

It's just a matter of proving why anyone should give a crap about what I think of a movie, and that really is, on one level, kind of a pointless endeavor. My idea is that a review should just be an exploration of the themes and ideas of a movie, that it should be more about analysis than critique. But that's not always what people want to read. They want clever takedowns and nicely compressible soundbites. Like "The Blair Witch Project is scary as hell!" or "Clint Eastwood deserves to have that flesh-eating scarab from The Mummy placed firmly in his rectum as retribution for the reprehensible Space Cowboys."

So, who knows if I'll actually turn up any work this way. I need some activity to fill the long days now that I'm not working. Just blogging isn't going to be enough, and I'm running out of whippets. (Ha ha!)

By the by, I'm sending all these editors the blog address in addition to my clips, so everyone, please be on your best behavior. They could be watching! They're all around us!

No comments: